What's wrong when typing 'gdb' yields GDB?

It used to bring up the insight windows and I did a fresh re-install
just to ensure that was not the problem.  No joy.  I replaced
my "~/.gdbtkinit" with my saved copy.  No luck there, either.
(I have to save a copy because it occasionally becomes corrupt.
So I have a copy with my standard settings saved away for when
that happens.)  Even deleting it does no good.  It would be
"real nice" if the silly thing would explain what problems it
was having so that it had to fall back to text mode.  I detest
text mode.  It is so hard to use.  :-(  Thanks!  :-)