Re: Insight does nothing but popup "crash" windows

On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 10:50:14AM -0800, Martin M. Hunt wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-11-28 at 16:04, Phil Edwards wrote:
> >
> > I find myself needing to debug a program, and it's just too complicated
> > for the character-based GDB, so I built CVS GDB with the gui enabled.
> >
> > Initially it failed to run the program because the target was not valid.
> > After I figured out that I needed to set the target to "exec" myself,
> > and did that, the weirdness began.
>
> Can you provide us any clues here?  What target?  What OS?

A program compiled for native i686/Linux, nothing special.

> What do you
> mean by "the target was not valid"?

The first time I tried to debug it, that's what GDB/Insight told me.
After poking about in the menus I found that the default seems to be for
some kind of remote debugging.  I changed the target from a blank selection
to "Exec" on a guess, and then it worked.

> What exactly did you do?

"gdb -w ./a.cout core"

> Can you
> start debugging your program using just GDB?

Yes, but it quickly becomes incomprehensible.  Stepping through the
iostreams hierarchy calls without, for example, a seperate stack window,
is almost hopeless.

Phil

                                                 - Edsger Dijkstra, 1930-2002