RE: input redirection

On Mon, 9 Sep 2002 antoine.trux@nokia.com wrote:

> > $ gdb ./mulitvar < multivar.inf
>
> True, but Scott Hill replied to Tom Tromey that his suggestions don't
> work, and that, for some reason, the "silly command" was working in
> Win98 (but not in NT). See
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/insight/2001-q1/msg00050.html.

I missed that message; it's not in the same mail thread as the others.
Still, the fact that it worked at all is probably a bug. This command just
does not do what the user thought it would.

> I, too, tried Tom's suggestions, but had no more luck than Scott.

> gdb: unrecognized option `--args'
> Use `gdb --help' for a complete list of options.

Ugh. Cygwin. Right. Ok, you won't have this option available to you, since
it didn't get in until 5.2, which doesn't work on cygwin (well, the tcl/tk
that we use don't work on cygwin. Command line gdb works just fine.)

> > gdb, i.e., "gdb -nw". This doesn't sound like the sort of thing that
> > Insight would malign.
>
> Doesn't work either.

Ok, then the error is occurring below the layer that Insight (and probably
gdb) work at. I would recommend you start by asking on the gdb mailing
list about this (gdb@sources.redhat.com). I'm pretty sure they'll just
tell you to try the cygwin mailing list, but the cygwin maintainer is also
the cygwin gdb maintainer, so he reads the list. Make sure you've done due
dilligence before posting (and say that you have): it'll make your life
much easier. ('due dilligence' = search gdb/cygwin mailing lists for this
topic)

I wish I had some better news for you, but I don't. Sorry.