Re: Various problems and/or questions on Insight 5.2.1

Hi,

Having discussed this with others on the Cygwin list, I'd like to chime in on this thread. You said:

"Ugh. That means that more than just tcl and tk was messed up by the "merge". [You know, I've often considered starting over with the "port" to cygwin for 8.3 -- or with Mumit Khan's work. It can't be nearly as botched as what we have now.]"

If you do go this course, might I recomend that you use Cygwin/XFree for the gui front end? The Cygwin/XFree project is just a few months away from rootless mode. You could have a tcl script automatically start the rootless x in the background when the programmer starts up gdb. This would make supporting Tk much easier because you'd no longer have this limbo state between the Unix and Win32 implimentations of TclTk. The added benefit for some of us is that it makes porting unix Tk based apps & libraries a whole *hell* of a lot easier for the rest of us. You should see in one of the following messages a patch to add such functionality. Also of note is that the quest for Cygwin mkfifo is back up and running, so hopefully we'll have that soon. The serial communications function that used to be missing in Cygwin is now complete.

As for your other question, this thread has somewhat summerized what needs to be done to merge his port in these messages [I'd reccomend reading the whole thread though]:

I'm sure if you contacted Mumit, he'd be happy to assist in merging the changes, as he pointed out in one of his posts.

Hopefully that will answer some of your earlier questions. I really hope you'll considier this. I'd do it myself, but I'm somewhat over-extended at the moment (I'm sure you are too). Anyhow, feel free to disagree with my evaluation...

Cheers,
Nicholas