How to see source code?

Hi!

a newbie question: I compiled a package (configure/make/make install) and I
was trying to debug it. However when I run gdb (gdb gda-test.exe) I get a
window with Assembly code and I don't get source code when I select SOURCE.
I want to step over the C source code, not assembly. Also, if I select menu
File; Source I get an error (invalid command or so).

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Fernando Martins