Re: RFC: [patch] Circunvent GCC/GDB problem with (void*) types

On Mon, 7 May 2001, Fernando Nasser wrote:

> The (char *) target types would need that trick as they are of
> TYPE_CODE_INT type (don't ask me why) but have "char" as the type name.
> However, I saw no reason for disallowing the dereferencing of (char *)
> either.  It looks like a useful feature.  If you do not agree, please
> let me know.

The reason for not dereferencing char*: we always printed the contents of
the string, so there was no need to dereference it.

But you are right, there really is no overwhelming reason not to allow
this. (It is, afterall, a UI decision, not a backend one.)