Re: Problems on insight under cygwin!

On Wed, 18 Apr 2001, Cliff Tsai wrote:

>     1.First I execute m68k-coff-gdb.
>        and open a m68k-coff image, but a error occur
>         => Error loading "...../test.coff"
>             bad offset (0x12264) in compilation unit header(offset 0x0+6)
>         The test.coff is workable when running in target.
>         So I have no idea about why GDB don't accept the coff image?

This is a gdb problem. Ask over on gdb@sources.redhat.com. The error,
though, sounds like some bad debug info (or a bug in one of gdb's dwarf
readers).

>    2.Using File->target setting,I set target using Remote/serial,57600,com2.
>       and Run->connect to target.
>       After a long time,there is a message->"connected successfully".
>       But When I ececute a "console_output" command at the target,
>       sending a string like "Hello,Insight" to insight.
>       I think I should see this string at the console window?
>       But nothing there.Do I make any mistake?

This sounds like an old bug where Insight would report a successful
target connection, even when it was not able to connect. It sounds like
your setup is not correct. Serial port could be wrong or the baud rate
could be wrong. You could even require a null modem connector or
something.

If your target stub uses gdb's "O" packet, it should show up in the
console window.

>    3.I try another method.
>       I open insight and use console window to connect to target.
>       (gdb)target remote com2
>       After long time,the message appear."Ignoring packet error....continue"
>       Why?

This is clearly an indication that you were unable to attach to the
target properly. Check cabling and com port settings. Try com1 and
different baud settings. Are you sure you're using a gdb remote stub on
the target?

>    4.Because I only see baud setting and com port selection in insight.
>       But I set following configuration in target's uart:
>       =>baudrate 57600,8-bits data,1 stop-bit,no parity.
>       How do I make sure  inshgt on the host can recognize this
> configuration at the target?

GDB only uses 8,N,1. Therefore Insight uses it, too. You should only need
to set the com port and the baud rate in the Target Selection box.

>    5.I've see a message at the ecos-discuss mailing list about ignoring
> packet error
>       The author said he wired up the connector at the PC end to connect
> RTS&CTS,DSR&DTR,
>       and permanently enable DCD.Then it works fine?
>       What did he mean? Do I need a special serial line?Or I can use common
> serial line that buy from store.

As I mentioned, it is possible that your board needs a null modem
adapter. The only way to tell is to try it. :-(

Otherwise, I recommend asking on gdb@sources.redhat.com to see if anyone
else has your target board and having any luck of connecting to it.