Re: Angel not present

Hi Fernando,

> > I am observing the problem _right now_ on this Win2000 system. It's not a
>
>In this case, I think you should post a note to the Cygwin people.  They

I don't believe it's a Cygwin problem, though. I am told, and believe, that
it's an Angel bug.

If you happen to have an AT91EB40 there, try using it with gdb 5.0 at
115200bps. For me, it locks up right after the "Angel Debug Monitor.."
sign-on message, more than 9 times out of 10. This is consistent with what
I've been told about gdb and angel not switching speeds at the same time.

When this happens, gdb is locked up and the entire cygwin session needs to
be killed in order to proceed. That is under cygwin 1.1.8 under Win2000.

Now for another reliability test: I load a simple hello world program and
stepi through it (connected at 9600bps). I try it three times and it stops
in a different place each time. When I don't step it, it runs perfectly
(it's an infinite loop, and it keeps running blinking LEDs, so I know it's
not just randomly stopping after some amount of time).

I've never had these sorts of problems using gdb talking to gdb stubs, but
they seem endemic to Angel use.

>it may become irrelevant -- Microsoft stopped selling Win9x altogether.
>It seems that there is no current way of buying it, just Millennium and
>2000.

WinME is pretty much 9x with 2000's icons (and a god-awful media player
applet that takes over your whole life). MS is trying to get the home user
market firmly weaned off DOS with Windows XP (Whistler) but I am not
holding my breath... billions of dollars in unsupported legacy peripherals
out there.

>I still don't understand why I don't see this problem.  We must have
>some different setup somewhere.  I haven't done anything too heavy in
>the 2000 machine though, only in the NT4.0 one.  Would it be some 2000
>problem?  I think you should definitively post to the Cygwin list...

I have an NT4.0 (server) box next to me, I quickly tried the 115200bps test
above and it hung exactly the same way. I haven't tried any further testing.

=== Lewin A.R.W. Edwards (Embedded Engineer)
Work: http://www.digi-frame.com/
Personal: http://www.zws.com/ and http://www.larwe.com/

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein,
Nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."