Re: Patches for RDI stop code and general features

Tim Chick wrote:

> A while ago this was disscussed, and Fernando said he would
> put in the RDI stop code. This hasn't happened as of the 10/10
> snapshot, I'm not moaning, just maybe a reminder :-)

It was not forgotten, just in a long queue of things to do.
It is on the works now and will be in pretty soon.

> Since getting insight to work with my Jeeni, I have noticed
> a few problems:
>
> 1. If you specify a symbol file on the command line, and
>    it can't be opened, there is no warning that the file
>    could not be opened.

You are right.  This is a bug but I don't know how to solve it.
This does not happen at GUI's command so I wonder how to get this
information back.

If you register this as a PR (problem report) in the insight bug database
you'll make sure I won't forget :-)

      http://source.redhat.com/insight
Follow the Bug link and from there to the dababase.

> 2. I can't delete my breakpoints with the GUI, I have to
>    use the console. If I try to delete a breakpoint the gui
>    gives a popup:
>    Error: No breakpoint at <sourcefile>.s:<line>
>
>    This only occurs in breakpoints in assembly code.

All right.  Another one.  Good catch, thanks!

> 3. Disasembly and mixed source and assembly view. On
>    the ARM using the Jeeni it sometimes gets the disassembly
>    wrong.

This would be a binutils bug, probably.

> If I were to try and fix these, how would I supply patches for
> approval? What program should I use to produce these patch files?

There are instructions on how to contribute somewhere but here are some basics:

1) If it is a small fix you don't need it, but if you are adding any functionality
   you will need an asignment of your work to the FSF (see fsf.org)

2) Use cvs or diff to produce the patch

There is a paragraph in the contribute file:

http://sources.redhat.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/src/gdb/CONTRIBUTE?content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup&cvsroot=src

that says:

        The patch itself. If you are accessing the CVS repository at:
        Cygnus, use "cvs update; cvs diff -c3p"; else, use "diff -c3p
        OLD NEW" or "diff -up OLD NEW". If your version of diff does
        not support these options, then get the latest version of GNU
        diff.

3) Don't forget the ChangeLog entry

4) Don't forget documentation changes

5) If adding a new feature or fixing a bug add a testcase or more if necessary.

The two last itens I am temporarely taking care of myself.

--
Fernando Nasser
Red Hat - Toronto                       E-Mail:  fnasser@redhat.com