Re: Does Insight Actually work or is it just an alpha orpre-alpha?

Also sprach Dave Arnold:

> hi Jim,
>
> 1.
> I did use "-g" option for gcc.

Yeah, sorry to have to ask, but you never know...

> 2. Version information:
>
> BASH.EXE-2.04$ bash --version
> GNU bash, version 2.04.0(1)-release (i586-pc-cygwin)
>
> BASH.EXE-2.04$ gcc -v
> Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-cygwin/2.95.2/specs
> gcc version 2.95.2 19991024 (release-2)
>
> BASH.EXE-2.04$ gdb -v
> GNU gdb 5.0
> welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain
> conditions.
> This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-cygwin".
> BASH.EXE-2.04$
>
> 3. Other worse problems occur using gdb -nw
> like hanging bash window, can't find libccrt0.c, can't find source, etc.
>
> BASH.EXE-2.04$ gdb -nw load
> GNU gdb 5.0
> welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain
> conditions.
> This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-cygwin"...
> (gdb) list
> 1       /cygnus/netrel/src/cygwin-1.1.2/winsup/cygwin/libccrt0.cc: No such
> file
> or directory.
> (gdb)
>
> (gdb) list load5.c:1
> No source file named load5.c.
> (gdb) list load5.c:main
> No source file named load5.c.
> (gdb) list
> 1       in /cygnus/netrel/src/cygwin-1.1.2/winsup/cygwin/libccrt0.cc
> (gdb)

You do have one screwed up version of gdb, that is for sure...  There may be
some conflict between the version of cygwin you are using and the one that
the gdb you got was build with?  I think that the cygcheck command will tell
you your cygwin version.  Don't know how you find out the version gdb was
built against.

If you can't sort this out, you will probably need to have a stab at
building it yourself.  For this you will need to get a recent (snapshot)
version of Cygwin, and the CVS version of insight (there were some problems
with the gdb 5.0 release vrs. Cygwin that you can find discussed on the
archives of this mailing list.)

Then configure & make should give you what you want.  Slight emphasis on the
"should".

If you have more questions on the process of building, you should probably
address them to the cygwin mailing list (also on the sourceware.cygnus.com
site), not because we want to palm you off on someone else, but because that
is where the real experts on cygwin hide out...

> THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO HELP,

Not a prob...

Jim

> /Dave