Insight contributions [was: Insight Bug?]

Paul_Heijman@eu.omron.com wrote:

> Does anyone still work on Insight, or are there several people wo do that?

We certainly wouldn't mind some more contributors from the net.  The gdb core
has many contributors who track bugs and send the fixes, write enhancements and
submit them as proposals for being included in the main sources (they must
provide a signed assignment to the FSF) and some of them (with more experience
and with the possibility of committing some time on an ongoing basis) serve as
maintainers of part of the code.

One of the deterrents is that we don't have a Insight internal's manual yet.
I was writing one on my spare time, but I run out of spare time :-(
So volunteers will have to find their ways by looking at the code.
Fortunately, there is Source Navigator.  Things get way easier with it.

It is very cool to work with the GUI.  So, if any of you would like to spend
some time working with it please let us know.  Two little things to remember:

1) If you plan to have code added to Insight (other than short bug fixing patches)
you and your employer will have to sign a "assignment form" to the FSF.

2) Please, before going on and coding a new window, changing an existent one or
adding some new feature or modifying anything, post your suggestion to the list
so people may give an opinion about it.  It is very frustrating when we do
something we find very nice but, for some reason we could not anticipate, it is
not acceptable to be incorporated in the main source repository (believe me,
everyone of us go through this at least once - the proposal thing avoids this).

Bottom line: contributors are welcome.

--
Fernando Nasser
Red Hat - Toronto                       E-Mail:  fnasser@cygnus.com