Re: Cross debugging to erc32 with Insight

Juan Manuel Dodero wrote:

> I have downloaded two versions of Insight. The one that I can build without
> problems (1999-10-04) doesn't cross-debugs to erc32. I try to configure
> cross-debugging with these command lines:
>
> ./configure --target=sparc-erc32-rtems --host=i686-pc-linux-gnu
>
> gcc -c -g -O2 -W -Wall   -I/install/Linux/insight-19991004/itcl/itk/unix -I/
> insc
> make[2]: *** No rule to make target

 It seems that you have clipped the important info away, the 'insc'
isn't anything
sane, there should have been the real error message too...

 I remember the Insight 'configure' leaving some subdirs unconfigured,
e.g. when
the itk build needs the 'tkConfig.sh' (or something) from the 'tk/unix'
subdir,
the build will fail and say that it is missing. Then one just configures
in the
'tk' subdir and continues the build from the main build dir, by writing
'make'...

 Solving these mechanical problems isn't however enough...

 My experiences with the ESA/ESTEC 'erc32' are somehow confused... The
original binary format seems to be 'aout', later there was the 'coff'
format
used and now the egcs-20000131 snapshots handles the 'sparc-*-rtems*' as
the same target as the 'elf'-based 'sparc-*-rtemself'...

 So the important question is the binary format needed for your tools?
What does your GCC now produce? What format do you binutils handle?
Which format
they should use?

 The 'coff_sparc' seems to be a compromise between the 'aout' and 'elf',
e.g. the
'xgc' distribution seems to use it (although a little modified) :

D:\opt\xgc\bin>erc-coff-ld -V
GNU ld version 2.8.1 (with BFD 2.8.1)
  Supported emulations:
   coff_erc
   dem32

 Configuring Insight-20000131 with the target name you used, results
into some weird configuration where the 'gdb/solib.c' (for shared libs
in SunOS and Solaris2) will be tried to be compiled. Unfortunately it
doesn't seem to succeed under Linux...

 And the simulator in 'sim/erc32' will not be used at all... The 'sis'
included with Insight seems also to be the version 2.7.5, but the docs
from the ERC32 2.0.6 release (August 1999) talk about the sis version
3.0.5. So Insight includes a little old code (perhaps this doesn't
matter)...

 There seems to be no special support for RTEMS in the Insight sources,
so the 'rtems' can be left away from the target name and replaced with
the more important binary format name.

 One target I know to work ok is the Fujitsu 'sparclite-coff'. Using
this target name, the simulator in 'sim/erc32' will be built into
GDB/Insight. How the 'sparclite' differs from the 'erc32' type and if
targets like 'sparc-aout', 'sparc-coff' or 'sparc-elf' (or with the
'-erc32', like 'sparc-erc32-elf') could also work, I cannot say... But
telling the binary format sounds more reasonable than trusting the
'rtems' to give some sane configuration.

 Ok, downloading the ERC32 distribution sources and docs from ESA/ESTEC
(ftp://ftp.estec.esa.nl/pub/ws/wsd/erc32/erc32ccs) could give more info.
For me it looks like the FSF and sourceware sources and the official
ERC32
distribution aren't very well synchronized...

Cheers, Kai