Re: Debugging Gimp plugins

On  8 Feb, Keith Seitz wrote:
> lduperval@sprint.ca wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> If anyone has experience successfully debugging gimp plugins with
>> insight, please drop me a line. I can't figure out the proper way to do
>> it yet.

> I don't know much about the Gimp (gasp!),

Hhhhhhhhhh!! Shame! Shame! :-)

> but I assume that it's plugins
> are just loadable modules (almost identical to shared libraries).

I don't think so. I've looked at the source and it seems to be
socket-based. It looks like the plugin is a standalone program that
communicates with GIMP using sockets. But don't take my word for it.

So my situation is that I'm trying to write a Tcl-based extension (or at
least make an old one work with the new GIMP). It requires running a new
wish process. That wish process loads a dynamic module. And there are
some dependencies on shared libs also. I find it to be a debugging mess
but I thing it would be an even bigger mess for me to try to compile a
monolithic binary containing the Tcl, Tk, gtk, gdk, glib and my own libs
all in one.

> If so, I've found that the easiest way to debug them is to set
> breakpoints AFTER the module is loaded (i.e., after gdb knows about its
> symbols). For example, if there is a way to harmlessly load the module
> with the gimp, do that. Then interrupt the program and set your
> breakpoint(s) as normal.
>
> If your module does something naughty before you can do this, you'll
> need to find out what function in Gimp loads the module and set a break
> there. After the module is loaded, its symbol table will be available to
> you.
>
> The problem is that gdb doesn't know that modules even exist. If that
> wasn't bad enough, if you attempt to add symbols from the modules (via
> add-symbol-file), you'll need to know the starting address for the text
> of the the module (after it is loaded into memory, that is)! Yikes!

Yikes is right. Someone on the gimp newsgroups suggested something
similar so I'll be trying it this week (provided I can get more than 10
minutes of work done). If it doesn't work, looks like I'll be going the
static compile route. Ugh!

Thanks for the suggestions.