Re: A couple of suggestions/questions

  JI> Tom,

  >> It would be nice if the pop-up view of a variables was available w=
hen
  >> viewing inline C++ functions that are in header files.  I end up d=
oing a
  >> View-> Local Variables to get around this missing feature.

  JI> I don't understand what you want here?  Do you want a popup on th=
  JI> main source window, along with the File & Function box, or what?

I would like the same behavior of the mouse that occurs when in a funct=
ion
of a C or C++ file.  Specifically (from the online manual):

 o With the cursor over a global or local variable, the current value o=
   that variable displays.

 o With the cursor over a pointer to a structure or class, the type of
   structure or class displays and the address of the structure or clas=
   displays.

 o Double clicking an expression selects it.=20

 o Right clicking an expression invokes a pop-up menu for expressions (=
the
   selected variable was the =91lis=92 expression).

I don't see this behavior when the debugger is stepping through a funct=
ion
in a header file.  The function is defined as inline but we have instru=
cted
the compiler to not inline anything yet.  I am able to step and next th=
compiler but the data interaction is less than desirable.

  JI> You can set the GUI preferences (like break at main) in three way=
s.
  JI> One is by setting up the UI the way you want and then closing the=
 app
  JI> down.  This should save the preferences in the .gdbtkinit file (g=
dbtk.ini
  JI> for the Windows folks) in your home directory.  If something does=
n't
  JI> get saved, that is a bug.

For some reason I'm not getting the file created (gdbtk.ini).  I'll try=

tracking it down.  I'm running under Windows NT with a cross to
powerpc-elf.

  >> We are using it as a kernel level debugger and would like to view =
the
  >> supervisor level registers of the PowerPC from the View->Registers=
 window.
  >> Is there a magic incantation that would allow me to do this or do =
I have to
  >> modify some insight code?

  JI> This is a gdb internal issue, not an Insight issue.  Insight just=

  JI> finds out all the registers that gdb knows about, and shows you t=
hose.
  JI> Look at the function gdb_regnames in gdbtk-cmds.c for the details=
.
  JI> You will have to teach gdb how to view the registers you want, th=
en
  JI> Insight will view them automatically...

I did a 'set processor 603' and then an 'info registers' from the conso=
le
which showed all of the registers but when I bought up the registers wi=
ndow
it just showed the user level registers.

Thanks, Tom