insight will not start

System Cygwin/NT4.0/sp3/FAT_FS

After a delightful few hours of getting acquainted with insight, it got into
a strange loop and hogged the CPU so badly I had to hit the reset button.

Two questions(possibly related).

Q1:

During the reboot, the file system check announced it found a file extension
without a filename which it moved to c:\found.000 directory.  Examination
showed this to be a mostly empty file with a sting of smilely faces as
header.

After reboot, my means of starting insight, i.e., entering cd
/cygnus/insight/bin ; ./gdb, no longer had the desired result.  The command
line prompt returns but the Insight windows never appear and gdb is not in
the task list.  I guess it just silently quits.

I may suppose that file which the file system check found to be odd and
moved was some sort of file necessary to the operation of Insight since it
appears to be the only thing that changed.

However, if so, deleting and installing the Insight FS would fix the
problem.  But it did not help.

Any suggestions welcome.  I really like what I saw and want Insight to work.

Q2:

There is a blurb in the cygnus web site which contains the link to download
Insight.  The blurb says that Insight should be installed in a install place
because it uses  DLL's of the same name as cygwin but which contain
different code.  I took this to mean to install it outside the normal cygwin
path.

However, this would seem to mean that Insight will then be picking up the
DLL's from the cygwin path locations.   Every thing did seem to work when I
first installed Insight (until the reboot described in Q1).  Once it stopped
working I tried various things including taking cygwin out of the path.
That did not help.  I also tried copying cygwin.dll into my working
directory so the debugee would be able to find it.  No help.

Thank you.