insight/164: insight crashes on binaries from gpc (Gnu Pascal) 2.1

>Number:         164
>Category:       insight
>Synopsis:       insight crashes on binaries from gpc (Gnu Pascal) 2.1
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Thu Jun 06 11:23:00 PDT 2002
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     Robert Scher
>Release:        unknown-1.0
I obtained sources to gpc version 2.1 at
http://www.gnu-pascal.de/current/
namely, gpc-2.1 and gcc-core-2.95.2

I built & installed per instructions in
p/INSTALL under the top-level source directory.

I also built insight-5.2 from sources at your site.
The insight that I built works fine on C programs.

Programs large & small that I compile and link using gpc 2.1 have some slightly unusual stabs, perhaps.  In any case, when I try to use insight to open such a file, insight crashes.  This only happens in graphical mode, and I have tracked it down and can offer a prospective patch.  insight works more or less normally on a gpc2.1 generated binary, except that all variables print as "void".  This is a separate problem and looks to me like a gpc 2.1 defect.  But this crash situation, I'm not sure who's not following the stabs spec., if there is such a thing...

After getting your initial mail, I'll e-mail you three files:  my patch (dbxread.c.diff) and the pascal source and gpc2.1-produced executable of "smalltest", a trivial program that will illustrate the crash.

In particular a N_FUN with empty name appears at a point when

When exercise insight in graphical
found that insight (in graphical mode) crashes