Re: New Guile VM

Ivan Toshkov <ivant@ifao.net> writes:

> Don't know if this "wish" belongs to this thread

It does.

> I think it would be wonderful if there is a way to serialize and
> deserialize first class guile objects, e.g. procedures, continuations,
> environments, etc.

Me too.  It's lower priority than much else right now, but we'll
certainly come to that.

> Of' course, it's now possible to write an object and then read it
> back, but this is true only for object, which have read format.

There is a kind of approximation to serialization in the current CVS
GOOPS.  If you do

  (use-modules (oop goops save))

you can save objects using

  (save `((NAME . ,OBJECT) ...) PORT)

or

  (save `((NAME . ,OBJECT) ...) FILENAME)

(or the other way around, I don't remember).

Things get written in a format which can be read in using `load'.

(I'm not very happy with the current interface, though.  As much else,
 I developed this quickly in order to get a thing working with my
 "real" work.  I had to introduce some things which I don't like.)