Re: Scheme book recommendations

Mikael Djurfeldt <mdj@mdj.nada.kth.se> writes:

 > cwitty@newtonlabs.com (Carl R. Witty) writes:
 >
 > > Before you put this in any guile documentation, please add warnings
 > > that say that if you run this on a machine connected to the Internet,
 > > anybody in the world can do anything they want to your files...
 >
 > Yes, actually, it might not be such a good idea to publish such code
 > at all.  We should probably add code to at least verify that the host
 > is "safe":

So you're only allowing everyone on the machine into your account
instead of everyone on the internet?  Still not so cool.

One of the points of guile as opposed to other languages is the safety
of programming with it.  We shouldn't give examples that are
fundamentally unsafe.

A server example should be cognizant of the dangers of writing a
server.  If we had a safe-top-repl, we could use that.  Barring that,
one should make it a simple data server, such as maybe just returning
the date & exiting, etc.

--
Harvey Stein
Bloomberg LP