Re: How to help?

Dirk Herrmann <dirk@ida.ing.tu-bs.de> writes:

> Hello list!
>
> Since great things are ahead, I would like to know from the masters of the
> big changes (Mikael and Greg) if there is anything the mere mortals can do
> to support you :-)
>
> I. e. is there something to be done as a prerequisite that others can do
> in order to make your task easier (like, I hope, the changes in numbers.c
> might be helpful for goops integration).

Hello mortal!  :)

In guile-core/devel/policy/plans.text, there are a number of plans.

One thing I'd like to give high priority is a CORBA binding for GOOPS.

It is possible to jump straight into it with the current GOOPS, but,
preferably, one would start with developing a reap C API for GOOPS
(including snarf macros for generics and methods, and a nice way to
build up classes and create objects from the C level).

Marius Vollmer <mvo@zagadka.ping.de> has previously said he might look
into this, so you should probably ping him first.

Regarding the state of the art of CORBA binding, you should check out
the Guile list thread starting with a message September 28 1999 by
Miguel de Icaza.  Since I archive all Guile messages, I could forward
a digest of this discussion to the list if someone asks.

John Harper has promised to answer questions and be generally helpful
if we port http://librep.sourceforge.net/rep-orbit.html to Guile.

In this interface, objects are represented as closures.  We should
represent them as GOOPS objects instead.

> As I have learned, avoiding to start time consuming discussions about
> interface questions is (at the moment) one thing that I can do :-)

No, no---help!!!  :)

Best regards,
/mdj

BTW, I only pretend to be master, and, unfortunately, will soon have
to fade into the background for a while.  Gang of four is the real
master.