Re: Unwanted hook names (was Re: interface reductions)

Dirk Herrmann <dirk@ida.ing.tu-bs.de> writes:

> On 27 May 2000, Keisuke Nishida wrote:
>
> > I think it is okay to give names to procedures, macros, hooks, and some
> > others by default without enabling the debug flag.  If one really does
> > not want to do that, one can do that by not using the standard macro.
>
> Maybe you're right:  It would make sense for the snarfer macros since
> there it is known that a C level binding will be created.  I'm just a
> little bit skeptical if it wouldn't add a lot of stuff to the heap while
> still being used very seldomly.  This may be a stupid concern.  However,
> it might make sense to offer this as a startup-time option (we could use
> the already existing --debug command line flag).
>
>   guile --debug    use debugging evaluator, backtraces and object names.

We can't do this since the names are needed also when not using the
debugging evaluator or backtraces.  Also, note that you switch on the
backtraces when an error occurs.  At that point you need all existing
objects to be named.  It's too late at that time to switch on object
naming.

Anyway, I don't think it's too much of a load.

Eventually, I'd like to eliminate the object property 'name, instead
replacing it with reverse lookup, using the local and top-level
environment.  Then it won't be a load at all...