Re: Creating hooks from C

Mikael Djurfeldt <mdj@mdj.nada.kth.se> writes:

> 1. Introduce a new C function for creating a hook:
>
>      scm_c_make_hook (n_args)

This is actually silly, since, in the few cases where this is needed,
the application writer could almost as easily use scm_make_hook.

A lot of this discussion is driven by the urge to be systematic.  To
be systematic is very important, since, if you are, people will be
able to predict things about Guile and easier remember them.

If it works that way, being systematic is useful, which is the primary
goal.

But it is not useful to provide unnecessary operations, or to split a
natural abstraction in a certain way, just to be systematic, which is
not the primary goal.

Another goal, which is also higher than being systematic, is to
minimize the number of entries in Guile's interfaces.

I think the current scm_create_hook does what you want in 99% of the
cases, and for those other cases, there exists a solution.

I think we can handle the fact that not all snarf macros will have the
same internal structure.