Re: options to make?

On Mon, 15 May 2000, Dirk Herrmann wrote:

> I'm wondering how to pass _additional_ compile time options to make
> without overriding existing ones.  Example:
>   make all CFLAGS="-DSCM_DEBUG_XXX=1 ..."
> will override the settings for CFLAGS that are defined within the
> makefile:
>   CFLAGS = -g -O2 -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes

It seems that, currently, someone could use CPPFLAGS, since CPPFLAGS is
defined to be empty by default.  However, isn't there some more general
solution to this issue, like some variable that is explicitly defined for
the purpose to give the user the possibility to add options at make time?

Best regards
Dirk