Re: Newbie again. Oracle. DLL calls

It's possible to do what you want.  I started work on this, and got
sidetracked.  I want to try to do it with swig once guile support is
relatively stable again.  The size of OCI makes it daunting, and I think
that it'd require too many smob's to just full export oci's full interface
into guile - some wrapping and packaging will have to be done.

Here's my answer to your portability question:

1) Oracle applications are pretty portable.  The oracle OCI interface is
relatively stable between platforms.
2) Oracle's OCI interface changes noticibly between releases.  So your
application glue should be portable between the same version of oracle on
different platforms (it should be mostly makefile changes).
3) The way OCI does memory allocation and the strange opaque types it uses
to try to avoid good interface design and force seperation make the
groundwork a bit difficult, and difficult in places that a beginner like me
didn't find best practises or recommendations in the guile docs.

Good luck.

-Peter

--
The 5 year plan:
In five years we'll make up another plan.