Re: scm_cur_loadp in an error hander

Mikael Djurfeldt <mdj@mdj.nada.kth.se> writes:

> Notice the two levels here: Some errors occur in the reader already
> before even having created a (valid or invalid) expression, but most
> errors occur when evaluating expression.  The support for the latter
> kind of errors is reasonably good, but not the support for the former.

Yes.  And the former is what I want here :)

> Just F.Y.I: This is the current chain of events at an error:
(snip)

I see.  Could you put this information somewhere (maybe in the source)
for later reference?

> This information should then probably be stored away in a new fluid at
> point 5.  (This is so that the debugger will be able to access it
> later.)  Maybe we could also store the stack in this fluid in the
> future in order to avoid having two fluids with error information.

Well... now I feel a debugger is an interesting program to try to
implement.  I'd like to try writing an Emacs interface of Guile's
source level debugger in the future... (if I have some time.)

> Note, however, that the reader is a critical component concerning fast

That's why we need a binary loader.  I implemented part of your proposal
for a Guile binary file format and sent it to you (with bugs).
Do I need to work on it more?

> > Adding an option like --debug-init may be enough.
> > Not helpful for beginners, though.
>
> Let's do that!

I appreciate it :)