Re: Emacs with Guile

Per Bothner <per@bothner.com> writes:

> But how often are you in the situation of not having a Java-enabled
> browser?  With that, you could use (say) VNC.

The situation I'm often in is using an account that isn't my own, or
perhaps hasn't been customized for me.  A couple of weeks ago I was at
a convention, where they've provided really dumb little accounts so
that you can check email with their "approved" mail reader over a
rather low-bandwidth connection.  In this situation, I just telnetted
to my desktop, and ran xemacs there, and got gnus, and life was good.

But if text access is a low priority, then that's fine!  Please don't
take my comments the wrong way.  I don't get to dictate your
priorities.  I just don't want it to be "never". :-)

> Again, I am not opposed to text-only access; I just see at as
> fairly low on the priority list for JEmacs.  If JEmacs gets to
> the point that it's a serious contender to Emacs/XEmacs as a
> default editor for many people, then it may be time to re-visit
> the issue.  Since the display (window, view) is separate from the
> data (buffer, model) it is quite possible to add radically
> diifferent display engines on top the Emacs buffer framework.

> For example, Kawa has a built-in telnet server.  If you start Kawa in
> server mode, and telnet in, you currently get connected to the
> read-eval-print loop.  There is nothing to prevent Kawa from sending
> ansi escape characters to display the current JEmacs buffer(s).

This sounds *so* cool!

Thanks for working on this.

- Sam