Re: Emacs with Guile

> From: Per Bothner <per@bothner.com>
>
> But how often are you in the situation of not having a Java-enabled
> browser?  With that, you could use (say) VNC.

Is this a serious question?  OK, the answer is: almost always.
I program robots, who installs a web browser on a robot?
They're supposed to be working on the production line, not
surfing the web.  On those machines where I even install X-windows,
I seem to have to edit the config files a lot before it works.
I'm sure glad I can do that with Emacs.

> Again, I am not opposed to text-only access; I just see at as
> fairly low on the priority list for JEmacs.

OK, so I don't use JEmacs.  No loss to you, no loss to me.

> Since the display (window, view) is separate from the
> data (buffer, model) it is quite possible to add radically
> diifferent display engines on top the Emacs buffer framework.

You got that right.  Most Emacs Lisp code has nothing to do
with the display.  What I like to hope is that there will be
a "standard" Scheme API for a "editable text" or "buffer"
and a few other ELisp data types so that the same SchemEmacs
program would work on all the different versions.  Then I want
one version that displays MIME with embeded pictures, one that works
by speech synthesis for my blind friends, one that works through
a serial line for when I am hacking with screwdriver and solder,
one that fits on a boot floppy, and world peace and group sex and
a proof that P=NP and a big bag of money!

But I guess I'll settle for a cup of herb tea before bed.

--
     -- Keith Wright  <kwright@free-comp-shop.com>

Programmer in Chief, Free Computer Shop <http://www.free-comp-shop.com>
         ---  Food, Shelter, Source code.  ---