Re: more module system wishlist blathering

Michael Livshin <mlivshin@bigfoot.com> writes:

> they get the grammar as an explicit argument.  but adding new #x
> things

New #x things?  I am still working with guile 1999-08-10, so
I am not quite up to date.  What is that?

> > generic functions are only a special form of generics.  What we
> > really need are generic classes.
> what's that?  any references?

Generics in the OO sense.  See Meyer's book "Object Oriented Software
Construction".

For example BinaryTree[Integer] or BinaryTree[Real] or Wheel[Number].
You take a (abstract) class, parameterize it with one or more other
classes and obtain "real" classes like IntegerBinaryTree, a 4 Wheels
class and so on.

Compare this with "generic functions" for example add1(Integer),
add1(Real) or makeWheels(Wheel, Number).

Jost