Re: engineering an opposable thumb for guile?

I agree that the possibility to read and write data in 'binary' format
is an important issue, and could spend some time to do the job.

However I personally prefer the python variant of the pack/unpack
functions, where the main concerns are the alignment and
big/little-endian issues, that are defined for the whole structure,
not for each of its component (which seems to be more natural). Also,
I think that uuencoding (which is present in perl functions) is a very
special issue, which has to be defined in a separate module (as well
as quoted-printable, base64 and other variants of encoding binary
data).

I'd like to ask people here to look at the specifications of
pack/unpack routines in python and perl and to suggest which features
seems to be useful for guile.

--
Best regards,
	Valentin.