Re: cvsignore

"Greg J. Badros" <gjb@cs.washington.edu> writes:

> w/o having tested this, I thought CVSIGNORE was a list of absolute
> patterns to ignore (not unlike the *lines* in a .cvsignore file).  What
> I want is a list of filenames that is used per-directory to contain the
> patterns to ignore.  E.g.,
>
> export CVSIGNORE=".cvsignore;.cvsignore-personal"
>
> or whatever.

Yep, exactly what I meant.  I was using confusing words.

> > Yes, that would be a good thing, and it would be a compatible
> > extension.  It would be harder to implement and I don't need it.
> > Which files are ignored is not a critical thing.  I don't need to be
> > in sync with the .cvsignore from the repo.
>
> No but then it's a maintenance headache and a possible source of an
> unintended checkin if the per-module .cvsignore adds a new file, and
> your CVS doesn't ignore it and then you check it in, not realizing it is
> to be ignored.

I think that the maintainance problem will not amount to a headache.
That's where we differ.  Maybe I'm right, or maybe you are right.  I
don't have the experience to say for sure.

When CVS would only be written in Scheme, then you would get your list
of filenames in no time, but I don't feel like doing this in C right
now. ;)

- Marius