readline linking

I'm trying to move some calculations I have been running on GNU/Linux
to some unused SGI O2/RS10000 boxes.  Over the last year I have moved
from SCM to guile, and once again it's causing growing pains.

I am required to build and run guile locally on the O2's, and the gnu
tools to build from CVS are not installed.  I am building the 1.3.4
version, which builds and runs, using  --prefix=~/Local

However, although guile runs, and I can load guile modules which are
scheme only, readline fails.  The readline library is in the same directory as
the libguile.so which is loaded by guile.

/afs/msrc.pnl.gov/files/home/d3h486/Local/share/guile/1.3.4/ice-9/readline.scm:30:1: In procedure dynamic-call in expression (dynamic-call "scm_init_readline" (dynamic-link "libguilereadline.so")):
/afs/msrc.pnl.gov/files/home/d3h486/Local/share/guile/1.3.4/ice-9/readline.scm:30:1: dlsym: Unable to locate symbol scm_init_readline

ABORT: (misc-error)

I would liek to build guile with readline linked in, just like the old
guile days and how it is with scm.  The current handling of readline
has caused me, and others, a great deal of headache at times.

If not, I'd just like it to work, easily, on a machine which I don't
have root access on and which has only a few gnu tools installed.

-John