Re: cvsignore

Marius Vollmer <mvo@zagadka.ping.de> writes:

> "Greg J. Badros" <gjb@cs.washington.edu> writes:
>
> > It'd be great if CVSDOTIGNORE could be a semi-colon separated list
> > of files to ignore so you could ignore .cvsignore *and*
> > .cvsignore-personal.
>
> Hmm, do you mean "a semicolon separated list of files that contain
> lists of files to ingore"?  There already is the envvar CVSIGNORE that
> contains a list of files to ingore.

w/o having tested this, I thought CVSIGNORE was a list of absolute
patterns to ignore (not unlike the *lines* in a .cvsignore file).  What
I want is a list of filenames that is used per-directory to contain the
patterns to ignore.  E.g.,

export CVSIGNORE=".cvsignore;.cvsignore-personal"

or whatever.

> Yes, that would be a good thing, and it would be a compatible
> extension.  It would be harder to implement and I don't need it.
> Which files are ignored is not a critical thing.  I don't need to be
> in sync with the .cvsignore from the repo.

No but then it's a maintenance headache and a possible source of an
unintended checkin if the per-module .cvsignore adds a new file, and
your CVS doesn't ignore it and then you check it in, not realizing it is
to be ignored.

> Why semicolons?  I think the standard thing is to use colons for
> separating filenames in environment variables.

I don't really care, but colons are typically used to separate paths; I
can't think of any cases where lists of filenames are given. But like I
wrote, no biggee either way-- whitespace, colon, semicolon, whatever.

> > Also, it'd be great if you sent this along to the CVS maintainer w/
> > a brief description of the issue-- it's something that CVS should
> > just handle better, and yours (w/ the one tweak) seems like a great
> > way to go about it.
>
> Yeah, but I first want to play with it a bit and see whether it really
> works out.
>
> Ok, I'm now going to remove generated files from the repo, sometime in
> the next days.  I wont touch ".cvsignore" at all.

Great! Thanks!

Greg