Re: cvsignore

Jost Boekemeier <jostobfe@calvados.zrz.TU-Berlin.DE> writes:

> [From my (a "module hacker's") point of view:]
>
> "Greg J. Badros" <gjb@cs.washington.edu> writes:
>
> > right thing.  But I now believe it can't and we need a new feature in
> > CVS to get what we want.
>
> Why?  I think that .cvsignore is a property of the module to which it
> belongs.  The module owner (the FSF in this case) can specify the list
> of files which are to be ignored in the current module.  This list is
> valid for every environment in which the module may be used.

Right, and that is my belief, too, but there was concern about
developers who believed that .cvsignore should be reserved for the user
to specify his/her preferences.  If we could have both on a
per-directory basis, that'd be the best case.  Given that it appears we
can't, I think we need to have .cvsignore files in the repository as
they have been.

> If you have a special environment, you can add more files to a
> per-environment .cvsignore.  I think this makes sense because it
> doesn't matter if you are in module `libguile' or `ice-9', your
> environment always stays the same.  I think that only the module owner
> should be able to change the module's meta-information.

Sure, it's a little more trouble for developers to make their
customizations, but not that bad.

<snip>

Greg