Re: logxxx and bignums

On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> I'd be really happy to see Guile using gmp, even if bignum arithmetic
> performance fell slightly, because it would take a lot of maintenance
> hassle out of Guile itself.

At least for 'bigger' bignums, gmp can be expected to be _way_ faster than
guiles implementation.  The gmp folks have implemented their core routines
in assembly language on a lot of major computing platforms.  Further,
they use sophisticated algorithms to get the best possible performance.

However, for bignums that consist of just a few words, there may be a
performance penalty.

Best regards
Dirk Herrmann