why undefined return values?

Having read r4rs and scsh-manual.ps and started to write scheme programs,
I am desperately looking for something like (setq a 1) that will return
the value.  (set! a 1) is quite useless in most programming contexts that
I am used to think in, coming from (Common and Emacs) Lisp.

I can't see any design advantage in providing unspecified return values
and I expected to find a heated debate on this in some FAQ, but I didn't.
Scheme is said to be functional, but it looks rather procedureal, often
returning undefined or useless values, like C.

Should I go back to Lisp and not bother with Scheme any longer, or could
there possibly be some good reasoning behind this?

--
phm