Re: Examples of embedding guile

Derry Bryson <dbguile@ta1.reno-onramp.com> writes:

<snip>
> > > What do you mean by "it occupies the main function of the program?"
> > > Do you mean that it must take over the main function?
> >
> > Yep, but see Scwm's scwm.c and guile-compat.c to see how Maciej worked
> > around this issue to permit C code to drive the application.  I believe
> > he's planning on integrating this capability directly into libguile in
> > the near future.
>
> This is something I will have to take a serious look at.  I was
> hoping for some function like eval(...) that I could just call
> to evaluate an expression.

Right, you get that, but you also have to tweak the startup code to get
the interpreter bootstrapped.  It's not that hard, and it's silly that
it's not part of guile already.

> > Good luck!  But beware of re-inventing the wheel as there are other
> > Scheme-based spreadsheets out there (many have been mentioned on this
> > thread already).  Contributing to one of those may be a more worthwhile
> > investment of your time (or contributing to, say, scwm! :-) ).
>
> Yes, re-inventing the wheel is bad, but I want to have a cross-platform
> program.  I will certainly try to look at what else is out there.

Then it may be more useful to work on Gtk+ -> Windows porting efforts to
try to get Gnumeric to work on Windows:

http://user.sgic.fi/~tml/gimp/win32/

Greg