Re: Examples of embedding guile

Julien Rousseau wrote:

> --- Derry Bryson <dbbuile@ta1.reno-onramp.com> wrote:
> > I am beginning a program which will be a spreadsheet
> > type program
> > and I hope to use Guile as the formula/macro
> > language (i.e. where
> > the value of each cell would be a guile(lisp)
> > expression).
>
> Well, why reinvent the wheel?

Certainly I don't want to do that.  However, I really want to
create a cross-platform program and neither GNumeric nor
SIAG seem to meet this criteria (perhaps Guile doesn't either).
I have been working with wxWindows for quite a while now and hope
to use that.

> Maybe SIAG (Scheme In A Grid) can fill this need and
> if it doesn't maybe they will be happy to have a new
> developer.
>
> The adress is:
> http://www.edu.stockholm.se/siag/
>
> for the siag office suite and
> http://www.edu.stockholm.se/siag/siag
> for the spreadsheet component
>
> The web page says that it support SIOD (another Scheme
> interpreter) , Guile, Tcl and C but see for yourself:
> http://www.edu.stockholm.se/siag/interpreters.html

I am looking at this now (again).  I did look at it a long
time ago and wasn't impressed;  however, I didn't remember that it
included a spreadsheet using Scheme and from the screenshots on
the web page it seems to have improved substantially.  If nothing
else, perhaps I can use this as an example of what to do (or what
not to do :)); or, perhaps, the user interface can be easily adapted
to wxWindows.

> If you are looking for example code that isn't too
> overwhelming to understand I personnaly began to learn
> Guile with Gnu Robots
> http://www.gnu.org/software/robots/robots.html

Thank you, I will look at this as well.

> Unfortunately documentation isn't one of the current
> strenghts of Guile (but is being dealt with like you
> can see if you follow the list (BTW congrat to all
> those that are developing Guile)).
>
> Hope it helps.

Documentation is lacking in most open source projects.  But, good code
examples (especially if included library source code) can help
quite a bit.  I am suprised that Guile doesn't even include a basic
example.

Thanks again,

Derry Bryson