Re: Patch Queue

Maciej Stachowiak <mstachow@alum.mit.edu> writes:

> "Greg J. Badros" wrote:
> >
> > 1) moving guile-modules's directories into the guile-core CVS module to
> > be distributed as part of guile proper. (Done inside the repo, as we
> > discussed a while back).
>
> OK, I'll put this on the TODO list.

Great, thanks-- shouldn't take long to do, either.

> > 2) Rename of ChangeLog to ChangeLog-1995-1999 and create a new ChangeLog.
> > I'll do this if you like, but feel it's your call and didn't want to
> > make the change w/o your explicit feedback.
>
> This change is fine. We should look at how other projects which have rolled
> over old ChangeLogs (e.g. emacs or gcc) have dealt with this and follow
> that naming convention. Feel free to do it as long as it follows the convention.

Jim's guide says this:

"In order to keep the ChangeLog a manageable size, at the beginning of
each year, the ChangeLog should be renamed to "ChangeLog-YYYY", and a
fresh ChangeLog file started."

But since the benefit to having all the years split up seems negligible,
I named the file ChangeLog-1996-1999, and the new one is just ChangeLog.

> > > I will probably set up a web page at some point to track pending
> > > patches, but for now we will have to make do with email.
> >
> > I'd say that keeping up to date on the patches is a much higher priority
> > than a web interface for giving feedback... ideally when things are
> > running smoothly a patch won't sit around for as long as they have
> > during this transition period.  Just keeping your working plain-text
> > file regarding pending patches available on the guile web page is
> > probably sufficient, in any case.
>
> I don't mean a fancy web interface. I mean a status list like what I sent
> formatted in HTML and on the web. The goal is for people to be able to poll
> the status instead of me sending active updates periodically.

Sounds great!

Thanks,
Greg