Re: Doc Tasks (was RE: docstrings in Guile!)

Telford Tendys <telford@eng.uts.edu.au> writes:

> > A few questions.  What do you think about using Docbook instead of texinfo
> > markup?  The official documentation is now out (available on the web!
> > http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/documentation/reference/html/docbook.html;
> > but you should buy a copy so Norm gets money!)
>
> That's a non-free documentation owned by a publishing company. It is exactly
> the sort of thing that the GNU project does not need. I hate to be rude but
> the texinfo format has some nice things about it, one of which is that you
> can learn it in an hour using only free-software tools and free-software
> documentation. OK, it doesn't support a lot of fancy features but what it does
> it does well, and it does enough for my documentation needs.

<snip>

Right now Docbook is maintained by oasis and is free by many
definitions.  See:

http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/

Here is the header from the DTD:

<!-- Copyright 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998, 1999 HaL Computer
     Systems, Inc., O'Reilly & Associates, Inc., ArborText, Inc., Fujitsu
     Software Corporation, and the Organization for the Advancement of
     Structured Information Standards (OASIS).

     $Id: docbook.dtd 3.1 1999/02/02 11:54:12 nwalsh Exp $

     Permission to use, copy, modify and distribute the DocBook DTD and
     its accompanying documentation for any purpose and without fee is
     hereby granted in perpetuity, provided that the above copyright
     notice and this paragraph appear in all copies.  The copyright
     holders make no representation about the suitability of the DTD for
     any purpose.  It is provided "as is" without expressed or implied
     warranty.

     If you modify the DocBook DTD in any way, except for declaring and
     referencing additional sets of general entities and declaring
     additional notations, label your DTD as a variant of DocBook.  See
     the maintenance documentation for more information.

     Please direct all questions, bug reports, or suggestions for
     changes to the davenport@berkshire.net mailing list. For more
     information, see http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/.
-->

This seems like a license that GNU can live with, but perhaps someone
in a position to make that claim could comment?

Thanks,
Greg