Re: should GOOPS be built-in?

Michael Vanier <mvanier@bbb.caltech.edu> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> Since we're all in soul-searching mode and pondering the future of guile, I
> thought it would be a good idea to bring up the issue of whether GOOPS
> should be built-in to the core of guile or not.  Personally (and I haven't
> thought this through in detail, this is just my gut feeling), I tend to
> think that it shouldn't be, but should rather be a module.
>
> [ snip ]

there are at least two possible interpretations of "built-in":

1. distributed and maintained as part of the core, used internally by
   the core (good thing, IMHO).

2. the above, and also sits in the root namespace (nobody proposes it,
   I think).

it also isn't really clear to me how Goops's being in the core could in
any way preclude implementation of other object systems not on top of
Goops.  (wow, I wonder if this is easily parseable, my internal English
grammar gets more generative every day ;).

--mike, who found the above in his soul with distressing ease.

--
For those who like this sort of thing, this is the sort of thing they like.
                                                                 -- fortune