Re: I resign as Guile maintainer

Jim Blandy <jimb@red-bean.com> writes:

> > People have sent me a long list of names of people who might be
> > qualified in some way or another to work on Guile.  But that is
> > not really what we need.
> >
> > Can anyone suggest a short list of names of people who might be good
> > candidates for the chief maintainer of Guile?
>
> My first choices would be any of:
>
> Mikael Djurfeldt <djurfeldt@nada.kth.se>
> Marius Vollmer <mvo@krusty.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de>
> Maciej Stachowiak <mstachow@alum.mit.edu>
>
> but I think they are not able to accept.  I think the strongest
> remaining candidates are:
>
> Gary Houston <ghouston@freewire.co.uk>
> Greg Badros <badros@cs.washington.edu>

Thanks for the vote of confidence.  I would love to be able to do this,
but I am told again and again by my committee and friends who've
finished their PhDs recently to *not* take on any extra responsibilities
in my last year of graduate school.  I believe their advice is good.
Maybe with another year's experience contributing to Guile and my PhD
behind me my answer would be different.

I'll also briefly take this opportunity to state what I claim is the
most significant problem with Guile:

Lack of reasonable documentation.

If I had to choose among extension languages right now, I'd be stunned
if Guile were my choice.  Only after the documentation improves will
people come to Guile to build a larger support infrastructure.  It's
just too damn hard to get started with Guile the way things are now.

Greg