LAML

I have seen some discussion about LAML on the guile mailing list.

In order to use LAML with a new Scheme system there are a few critical
issues:

  * Does the Scheme system support the necessary file system interface
    such as file-exists?, directory-exists?, delete-file, and
    copy-file. It turned out that Gambit did not when I tried to use
    it half a year ago. SCM and MzScheme do.

  * Can the the current time (in terms of seconds elapsed since jan 1, 1970)
    be extracted by Scheme?

  * Is there a list sorting function: (sort-list list comparator).
    (If not, just make it).

  * Is it possible to transfer some necessary context information
    (name of source file, full path of source directory) to the activation
    of the Scheme processor. It turned out the MzScheme and Scm are sligthly
    different in this area (not a surprise), and I had to use considerable efforts
    to provide for smooth integration of LAML with Emacs because of that.

In the next release I intend to make these requirements more precise, such
that it is easier to evaluate the efforts necessary in order to use a given
Scheme system with LAML.

In the meantime I will happy to take a look at guile and LAML
in coorporation with people, who know about the guile details.
In concrete terms, someone with good guile knowledge could address the
critical issues listed above.

--
Kurt Nørmark                          Phone:        +45 9635 8080
Department of Computer Science        Direct phone: +45 9635 8896