Re: Guile, CORBA and GNOME

Bill Janssen <janssen@parc.xerox.com> writes:

> Yeah, it's a shame we couldn't work the license issue before they
> decided to go into ORBit...  I finally managed to make ILU Open
> Source last year.

Thanks for the work on the license, it's greatly appreciated.  There's
still at least one point of concern, though.  At least I've heard
people discussing it on the Debian lists.

From the Debian /usr/doc/ilu-base/copyright file:

  The reason why these packages are not in the Debian main section is
  that Debian cannot ensure, that a "distribution of this software, a
  modified version thereof, or a derivative work must comply with all
  applicable United States export control laws".

There has been discussion on the lists whether or not this is even a
meaningful restriction, but I don't know if it was ever settled.
Anyone who actually cares might want to talk to (or look at the
archives of) debian-legal...

FWIW