Re: readline again

Michael Vanier <mvanier@bbb.caltech.edu> writes:

> I just downloaded and installed the new 1.3.2 release.  Does anyone know
> how to get readline working?  The NEWS file says to put this in your .guile
> file:
>
> (use-modules (readline-activator))
> (activate-readline)

This worked for me on a RH6.0-based GNU/Linux system.  I had a little
build problem whereby I had to explicitly:

cd guile-readline
make readline.x

to get readline.x to be built (the dependences miss this somehow).

(It's a little confusing that it must be in your $HOME/.guile startup
file).

<snip>

> but when I do and run guile the system croaks with this error message:
>
> /home/mvanier/local/Solaris/share/guile/readline-activator.scm:7:6: In procedure dynamic-call in expression (dynamic-call "scm_init_readline" (dynamic-link "libguilereadline.so")):
> /home/mvanier/local/Solaris/share/guile/readline-activator.scm:7:6: ld.so.1: guile: fatal: scm_init_readline: can't find symbol

You might want to truss/strace and see what library guile tries to link
against, and see (using nm) if scm_init_readline is defined there.

> I have the readline library installed in the same lib directory that the
> guile libs get installed in, and this directory is also in my
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  Does readline have to be statically linked into guile for
> it to work?

Definitely not for me it didn't, and the intention is for it to be
dynamically linked-in by guile.

Greg