readline again

I just downloaded and installed the new 1.3.2 release.  Does anyone know
how to get readline working?  The NEWS file says to put this in your .guile
file:

(use-modules (readline-activator))
(activate-readline)

but when I do and run guile the system croaks with this error message:

/home/mvanier/local/Solaris/share/guile/readline-activator.scm:7:6: In procedure dynamic-call in expression (dynamic-call "scm_init_readline" (dynamic-link "libguilereadline.so")):
/home/mvanier/local/Solaris/share/guile/readline-activator.scm:7:6: ld.so.1: guile: fatal: scm_init_readline: can't find symbol

I have the readline library installed in the same lib directory that the
guile libs get installed in, and this directory is also in my
LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  Does readline have to be statically linked into guile for
it to work?

Mike