Re: The taming of the before-gc-hook (was Re: Upcoming 1.3.2 release)

Jost Boekemeier <jostobfe@linux.zrz.TU-Berlin.DE> writes:

> Mikael Djurfeldt <mdj@thalamus.nada.kth.se> writes:
>
> environment use to access the common resource.  Once the environment
> is gone its observers will be collected unless someone still
> references it.  But then the observer detects that its container (the
> environment) is gone and does nothing.

Forgot something: That will only work if the container object is a
smob and *not* a normal scheme object.  For example a vector object or
a pair is not a smob and therefor has no finit() function.  To support
encapsulation I think guile should (no *must*) support a per object
finit function.  Maybe as an option.

For example:

scm_set_finit(object, free) /* call free befor object is free'ed */

(Mabe this is already available?)

Jost