Re: records

Jost Boekemeier <jostobfe@calvados.zrz.TU-Berlin.DE> writes:

> Miroslav Silovic <silovic@zesoi.fer.hr> writes:
>
> > Jost Boekemeier <jostobfe@calvados.zrz.TU-Berlin.DE> writes:
> >
> > > The problem is that you can't extend display and + to accept new
> > > types unless you switch to polymorphism.
> >
> > In fact, in CLOS, you can. So... what is your point?
>
> It may be true that CLOS was a good system 20 years ago but today I
> don't think that anyone would be comfortable with it.

IMHO you failed to produce any explanation for this statement. You
also failed to suggest a viable alternative. Note that multiple
dispatch is an absolute must for a dynamically typed language.

> There must be some reason why for example environments were designed
> in a object oriented fashion (polymorphic, not generic like the rest
> of guile :>).

There is. And you can implement this exact same interface on top of
CLOS (or GOOPS). Both are polymorphic.

> But I do know how CLOS handles OO and I am definitely sure that CLOS
> would be the wrong way (TM). :)

Again, why?

--
I refuse to use .sig