Re: (seeks while reading) Re: Performance, argh

Clark McGrew <mcgrew@ale.physics.sunysb.edu> writes:

>     Russ> I like the idea of using vicinities.  This way when you want
>     Russ> to load a bunch of files at startup, you determine *once*
>     Russ> which vicinity to use then you can load all the files
>     Russ> relative to the vicinity.  This is the approach that slib
>     Russ> takes, if I remember correctly.
>
> Probably I just don't understand how vicinities work, but how do they
> work when files are not all in the same vicinity.  What if the files
> you need to load are spread over several directories
> (/usr/share/guile, /usr/local, /home/mcgrew, &c)?

You have to know from which vicinity a file should be loaded.  This is
not necessarily as big of a problem as it might first seem; for
instance it is safe to assume that you can load system files from the
system vicinity.  Applications can define their own vicinity, and then
load application specific files from there, etc.

The cost is that you can't drop a tweaked boot-9.scm into /site and
expect it to work.  In my mind this is a very minor drawback.

-russ

--
If pure C++ people have problem with other languages, maybe it has to
do with C++ being such a confusing language, that cripples the mind of