Re: Performance, argh

On Mon, Jul 12, 1999 at 01:56:06PM +0200, Jost Boekemeier wrote:
> Lalo Martins <lalo@webcom.com> writes:
>
> > IMVHO, Perl and Python have small startup times due to
> > "semicompiled" (or byte-compiled or whatever each language calls
> > them) modules.
>
> --- yet another "my module system is great" advertisement :)) ---
>
> Yes -- and no.  When I start guile -c "(display (+ 1 2))"
> it beats perl -e "print 1 + 2;"!

I agree that the module system is great :-)

Still, my point was that loading semicompiled scripts is usually
faster than parsing source scripts.

> > Perhaps coming up with a ".gscmc" format is all
>
> Excuse me but what is a ".gscmc" format?

A format for semicompiled (or byte-compiled) code. I came up
with that ugly extension from ".pyc", the extension used by
Python. ".scmc" implies that it works on scm; ".gscmc" is for
"Guile Scheme Compiled".

[]s,
                                               |alo
                                               +----