Re: Bad news from the module/environment front

   From: Jim Blandy <jimb@red-bean.com>
   Date: 30 Jun 1999 11:09:56 -0500

   Yes, SCM has gotten even faster since Guile forked off.  In principle,
   I'd love to see Aubrey's improvements integrated into Guile ---
   especially the delayed consing for local environments.

   However, either:
   1) Aubrey often chooses speed over maintainability, or
   2) Aubrey is much, much more clever than I am, and thus his code is
      perfectly maintainable to him, while it sometimes stumps me for
      hours.
   Possibly both.  In either case, I find his code difficult to work
   with.  But don't let that keep you from integrating his speedups.

Clever code is maintainable to the author (usually).
Mental processes that went in to creating it are far more easily
remembered than trying to grok the result from scratch.
But in a group project (which Guile is and SCM isn't),
that's irrelevant, no?