Re: performance

> You're saying guile should ship with debugging enabled, but it seems
> like your argument supports something different than this.
>
> It seems to me that you're basically arguing that debugging should be
> substantially more configurable than it currently is.  Maybe it should
> just be off by default but turned on when entering an interactive repl
> loop?  Maybe all code in /usr/share/guile should have some sort of
> (load-this-with-debugging-turned-off) at the top?

Basing it on interactivity would probably be best.  But I think there
might be problems with mixing debuggable code and non-
debuggable code...?  I haven't tried it myself, though perhaps I
should.  There might be more subtle aspects of increasing the
granularity of the keeping of debugging information.

I just hope that until those issues are dealt with debugging will be
left on.  Like a new module system, it might take a long time to fix
this properly.  The simple solution of just keeping debugging off by
default isn't, IMHO, a good enough solution.

Now if I could just figure out how to leverage the Guile debugging
system for Tcl->Scheme... sigh.

--
Ian Bicking <bickiia@earlham.edu>